Thursday, July 28, 2016

Top Ten Thursday: 80's Songs

  Hello there and welcome to Top Ten Thursday hosted by my friend Tamara over at Confessions of a Part-Time Working Mom.  This week's challenge is going to be hard.  See I grew up in the 80's, so yeah, I listened to Madonna, Michael Jackson, Wham, the list can go on forever.  That's why it's going to be tough narrowing it down to just ten.  Check out mine and some of my other blogging friend's Top Ten 80's Songs below.






My Top 10 Favorite Songs of the 1980's...
(Click on the RED links to see the music video)


1.  Human Nature by Micheal Jackson - I am a HUGE Michael Jackson fan!  So when I was thinking of my 80's songs, he just HAD to the top of the list.  This particular song is my all time favorite song by the legendary King of Pop, and it just so happens to be one of his favorites too!  When he passed away, I was extremely sad, and still today wish he was alive.  At the time we just so happened to be living in California close by to his Neverland Ranch, so we paid a visit to pay our respects.  His music was amazing, his dance moves out of this world, and his kind heart for others was inspiring.  My son has recently developed a love for his music as well and goes around singing all the words to "Thriller" and performs the "Thriller dance" for all our friends (and yes, he knows all the moves).





2. Sailing by Christopher Cross - Ok, so I know this isn't as "poppy" as Michael Jackson, but it has a special place in my heart.  My mom always tells me the story that when this song used to come on the radio I used to sing "CANDICE can do miracles" instead of the real words "the CANVUS can do miracles."  And because of this, my dad and I danced to this song at my wedding.  Even to this day, I still sing it my way.




3.  Let the Music Play by Shannon - Since we are talking about the 1980's who remembers break dancing?  You can't see it, but I'm totally raising my hand!  This was my JAM!  When this came on I was a dancing machine.  Of course break dancing in the 80's is way different then the "breaking" of today. Plus I was kid, so no one cared.  Dance is suppose to be fun!  Me and my bro, we love to dance!




4.  Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go by Wham! - If you entered a skating rink most likely you would hear this song.  I certainly remember it playing the day we showed up to the wrong school's skating party.  We even brought cupcakes too I think.  Oh well, we stayed and had fun.  The picture below is actually from a Halloween themed skating party (my mom made our costumes).




5.  What a Feeling by Irene Cara - Ok, so who doesn't love the movie "Flashdance?"  I used to watch it all the time.  I loved watching the dancers in their costumes perform.  And the end...so awesome!  Everyone loves the end, the big dance scene, and then she gets accepted into Juilliard.   As a child I didn't even realize this movie was about a stripper trying to better her life.  Looking back, I'm kinda like, wow mom and dad, you let me watch this?  But really, who cared back then?  It was really hard to decide between this song and Maniac by Michael Sembello, I mean because who didn't wear some leg warmers and going around dancing in circles? (I'm even wearing some dancing bears on my dress in this picture).



6.  We Don't Have to Take Our Clothes Off - Jermaine Stewart - I remember listening to this song driving around with my cousin when we lived in Ohio with my Aunt and Uncle.  We were in between moving from Florida to the Azores (my dad was in the military also).  We would roll the windows down and sing at the top of our lungs, it was so fun!  I miss hanging out with her.  This picture is of my mom, sister, my cousin, and I, a little older then the memory, but that's ok.



7.  Girls Just Want To Have Fun by Cyndi Lauper - Growing up with red hair and the ONLY red head grandchild out of both sides of my family (which has A LOT of red heads on each side) I was bound to be dressed up as Cyndi Lauper.  Which is exactly what my older cousins used to do.  They would put me in some funky outfits then pull my hair to side.  We would dance around singing this song.  It was a lot of fun.  We used to always put on skits, dance performances, magic shows, tell jokes to entertain ourselves and our family.  For example, the picture below.  I was dressed up as some crazy character and wanted to put on a show.



8.  Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears - What about this song does not scream 80s?  I remember listening to this song when we were stationed in Flordia, I was outside playing while my dad washed the car.  It's one of those moments I will always relate to this song.  This was about the age I was when we lived in Florida. (My bro was born there).



9.  Holiday by Madonna - When you mention the 80's one artist that always comes to mind is Madonna.  She was a culture inspiration.  From her songs, her dance moves, and even her fashion.  She was an 80's icon and still to this day can rock the music scene.  Holiday was one of those catchy songs that was easy to sing to and was on the radio a lot when I was growing up.  It came out in 1983 when we were stationed in Germany.






10.  Dancing on the Ceiling by Lionel Richie - Who can resist getting up to dance to this song?  It came out in 1987 when perms were still all the rage.  And guess who had one too, yeah this lady!  And to let you know my hair is straight straight, but of course that didn't stop my mom.  I remember hanging out in the kitchen with my hair tightly wrapped in those pink and blue perm curlers, smelling of chemicals, with a plastic bag tied on my head.  I am so glad perms faded out!


  

    Well, there ya have it, my Top Ten 1980's Songs! I hope you enjoyed watching and listening to some of the songs, my little memories, and the totally awesome 80's pictures of my childhood.




Check out some of my friend's Top Ten 80's Songs below!



    














post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading your comment. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
1 09 10